Portable data storage devices really help you out in transferring the data from one device to another. All you need is to connect your USB drive to the system, copy the data and disconnect the drive. You can now connect the same drive to another system and paste the data from the USB drive.
However, while using your USB drive to share data with the other system, you might encounter an error called ‘the parameter is incorrect. This error will prevent you from accessing the drive.
At times, you may experience that while accessing the drive, the original location of the drive is lost, and you receive a pop message where the drive is inaccessible.
Causes Of Parameter Is Incorrect Error
With the external drives, there are just too many things that can go wrong. Starting from physical damage to bad sectors, everything remains uncertain. However, we believe that the following causes contribute the most.
- Improper Removal Of Storage Devices: There is a proper way of doing things. The same thing can be said for the removal of external drives. To safely remove the drive from the system, you must ensure that the system is not working on it. After that, eject it out before disconnecting from the system.
- File System Crash: The file system is responsible for your data storage and access. If the file system is damaged, your system won’t be able to recognize the external hard drive. In such a case, it shows an incorrect parameter error.
- A Malfunctioning USB Port: An external drive is connected to the system via a USB port. If your USB port malfunctions, the system won’t be able to connect with the drive.
How To Fix Parameter Is Incorrect Error?
Now that you know what might be the reason behind the incorrect parameters errors let’s explore the possible solutions.
Solution 1: Use System File Checker (SFC)
One of the most used methods to solve incorrect parameters error is the SFC scan. It scans the system and repairs any corrupted files present in the system.
- Go to the Windows search bar.
- Type Command Prompt.
- Select Run As Administrator.
- Type: SFC/scannow.
- The system will run a quick scan for corrupt files.
- Reboot the system.
Solution 2: Change Decimal Symbol Setting
The proper functioning of the drive is dependent on correct formatting. The incorrect formatting prevents the system from recognizing the drive. In order to change this issue, you need to change other characters to DOT.
- Go to the control panel.
- Choose the region setting.
- Navigate to additional settings.
- Look out for the decimal character field.
- In the field, set the character to “.”.
- Click Ok to save the changes.
Solution 3: Run CHKDSK Command
There are times when there is nothing wrong with the external drive but with the system hardware. Running the CHKDSK command will ensure all the problems are taken care of. You can run the CHKDSK command by following the steps mentioned below.
- Go to the Window search bar.
- Launch “RUN”.
- Type CMD.
- Select Run As Administrator.
- Type: chkdsk X: /f.
- Wait patiently until the CHKDSK command runs a quick scan.
Solution 4: Format The Drive
If you have exhausted all your options and are still far from fixing the error, the last resort is to format your drive. However, before moving forward with this method, you must know that formatting the drive means all your data will be erased. So, it is advisable that you backup your data.
Now, let’s move forward with the procedure to format the drive.
- Launch the file explorer.
- Connect the inaccessible drive with the system.
- Visit the format Window.
- Select a file system.
- Wait for a couple of minutes before the formatting process completes itself.
FAQ( Frequently Asked Questions)
How do you Fix that the disk parameter is incorrect?
There are five fixes you can use as a disk parameter to ensure that your disk parameter is incorrect.
- Fix-1 First you need to run the FSC to fix the corrupted file system.
- Fix-2 The next step is that you can change the decimal symbol settings.
- Fix-3 You can reset and format the file system.
- Fix-4 You can run the CHKDSK repair and the bad sectors.
- Fix-5 You can use the CHKDSK alternative. You can make use of the automated repair tool.
Why is your hard drive parameter incorrect?
It can occur due to the physical and logical parameters of the external hard drive. It can make the external hard drive inaccessible. The parameter is incorrect is one of the most common issues that you have to take care of while you want to identify the incorrectness of the parameter.
How do you change the parameters in the hard drive?
You can click to change the drive in the later paths to select the desired letter except for C. It is one of the most effective parameters that you need to take care of while you want to change the parameters to Restart your system.
How can you fix the Corrupted D drive?
There are certain systems that you need to fix or use while you want to fix the corrupted D drive.
There are some simple steps that you have to follow while you want to fix the Corrupted D Drive.
- You Can Go To The Computer>Select The Hard Drive> Select The Properties.
- Select the tools> Error Checking> Check now> Check the Local Disk> Start.
- Shut Down all the open running programs> Wait for the system to check on the new boots> After that you can restart the PC.
These are some of the facts that you need to take care of while you want to fix the incorrect parameters in windows.
The Parameter Is Incorrect error message shows that some unseen problem has occurred on your external hard drive. This error restricts any movement of the users on the drive. We have already discussed the reasons behind this error.